2.22.2011

{just} another nursing post

i have many mixed feelings.
clinical.
slow day.
felt silly because i didn't know what i was doing and no one was directing me.  
{how hard can it be to say, "follow this nurse around," eh?}
once we started prepping my patient for surgery, I felt like I knew a little bit more.
but then i asked to do an IV.
"they are operating on his other arm to i've only got one shot - so i should probably do it"
and i was fine with that.  until.....
later on that day a fellow student told me that he grumbled about me asking to the IV.
embarrassment.  despite the fact that - 
why should i have to apologize for asking to gain a little experience?

therefore, i have made a resolution. 
when i am an experienced nurse, i am going to do my best to remember what it was like to be a student and feel inexperienced and stupid. i am going to give the student the ability to be taught and learn as much as they can and gain as much experience as possible.  i am going to be kind and patient, and really try and stretch the student’s abilities and comfort zone.
as a student, i sometimes feel like i am a burden on those teaching.
but if there wasn't anyone willing to teach.....
then how would we learn?

boo mr. IV man for making me feel stupid. 
{although your reasoning for doing the IV yourself were, in fact, very valid.  next time you feel annoyed at a student, try and put yourself in their shoes and think how scared they might be to enter the real nursing world only having done a handful of successful IVs.  if you still think then that you should be annoyed, then you are weird.}
thank you, Jake from OR, for teaching me.
{so i didn't need to run home crying.}

No comments: